Participation in the Sexual Respect Initiative is required for all new students.
September 27, 2021 - November 5, 2021
The Sexual Respect Initiative — an important part of Columbia’s Community Citizenship Initiative — asks each of us to promote a campus culture that upholds sexual respect and unequivocally rejects sexual harassment, sexual assault and other forms of gender-based misconduct or violence.
This Initiative offers you a variety of compelling and thought-provoking workshops, award-winning films, digital projects and online resources to engage with, plus the option to complete an independent project. And because the Sexual Respect Initiative is all about empowering students to get help when and where they need it, you’ll also learn about the wide range of support services Columbia offers, as well as concrete steps you can take to combat misconduct in any setting.
Getting started is easy; just choose one (or more) of the options at How to Participate.
- Increase your knowledge of key concepts related to sexual respect, such as healthy and problematic behaviors and bystander intervention.
- Increase awareness of University resources and community values.
- Provide opportunities to dispel myths about sexual violence.
- Learn more about the link between gender stereotypes, harassment and violence.
- Foster awareness about sexual violence within our community and broader society.